2 Years of Freelance Work-at-Home Mom-ing… and Still Counting.

I’m patting myself on the back today.

Wow. It’s June tomorrow! That means it’ll have been two years (officially) as a work at home mom. Hooray! **claps by her lonesome**

I consider it an achievement to have come this far as a freelancer. It’s not an easy job. I’ve been an employee since I was 19, when I began working part-time while I studied. I’ve always had the assurance of a steady income and the umbrella of an employer. That’s why venturing out to the benefit-less world of freelancing was rather scary, at first. Added to the fact that I was a new mom, the apprehension was even more intense. I was doing freelance writing jobs on the side, just to get my feet wet. But really, I had no idea of what to expect after I turned in my resignation letter — my first ever — two years ago this day.

It’s a good thing God is kind. Since I left my former job, I’ve been busy, busy,busy — and I believe it’s all because of God’s blessings, the universe aligning, and all that jazz. (Yes, for those who might be doubting, I still believe in God. I am a mess without Him.) In fact, I’ve been so busy lately that this week, I decided to slow down and catch up with some reading, some reflecting, some connecting with Him.

Since Monday, my schedule has been mostly about getting back to a place of rest and peace. You can call it “centering” or “self-care” or even “prayer.” For me, it’s simply about going back to the basics, stepping back from work, and taking a deep breath before going back full-on into freelancing mode. I’m still neck-deep in projects, of course, but given the flexible work schedule I often talk about here on this blog, I decided. “Hey, I deserve to slow down a bit!” (I love being able to work from home.)

Why slow down? Because next month is going to be busy, busy, busy! This June, I’m coming out with my first FREE ebook for work-at-homemakers. I’m also going to be launching a new section of the site — the Mompreneur Marketplace — a place that supports mom-run businesses. I’ve got more contests and features lined up from site partners. And I’ve got meetings lined with up new clients, whom I believe are true blessings and “shareholders” in my decision to maintain work at home mom job.

But, for now, I’m still savoring my semi-vacation week.  Like I said in my latest article over at the World Moms’ Blog, I’m doing my best to juggle all that I do. Breaks and hiatuses — however brief they are — are always good for the soul. Because next month — meaning, tomorrow — it’s going to be busy all over again for this work at home mom!

How about you? Have you needed to slow down lately?

Photo: emilywjones

Comments

1. Ana Henson says

Just discovered your website. It’s beautiful! I have been slowing down the whole summer vacation and yes this June spells BUSY. With kids still in school, I have mixed emotions of excitement and worry. Although I found a way to lessen my worry about safety issues while they travel to school, stay in school, and their trip back home. I outlined all the things that worry me and thought of possible steps I and the kids could take to avoid them. I found myself having a meeting with my 9 yr. old boy and 13 yr. old daughter. It worked! I was relieved to discuss it point by point and was grateful to have my kids equipped with skills on safety. I would love to share it with you of these days. More power to you.

Thank you, Anne. I am so inspired by your sharing. Every day, I feel like that about my kid — and he’s only 2! I am actually planning to homeschool him, but at the same time give him plenty of time to discover the world and new friendships on his own. I’d love for you to share that story through a guest post! Do let me know if that’s something up your alley. Have a great weekend!

Happy second WAHM-sary Martine! :) I agree, once you have decided, the Universe will align and God will send you all the resources, people and opportunities you will need to help you achieve your goal.

I have slowed down too this month, in the sense that I’ve been spending some serious time brainstorming, planning and mapping my next moves. Also in preparation for a busy June ahead with online business school starting on Monday.

Again, congratulations and here’s to a more fruitful, abundant and joyful second half of 2012! :)
    Jayme recently posted..Deliberate creation for moms or How I won a scholarship that would change my lifeMy Profile

First off…congrats on your success as a free lance writer! second…yes, I always need to slow down. But, with 4 kids, I’m not sure if that’s really ever going to happen! For me though, that’s just how I live my life…when it’s ME time, I know it, and take the time, but I often think…what would I be doing if I didn’t have my kids or work, and I imagine I would rest for a bit, but would just as busy as I am now!
    stefanie recently posted..Town Square | I {heart} VegasMy Profile

Hi, Stephanie!

Wow, 4 kids! You amaze me. My mom had us three to take care of, but she always knew how to take her “me” time, as you said. I understand what you mean about taking “what if” moments — I’ve had those too, with just one kid! Kids do have a way of slowing us down in a way, don’t they? And yet they still keep us busier than we’ve ever been! However, I think the busy-ness of having kids is as rewarding as it is tiring (if I can make that comparison!)

Have a great weekend :) Stopping by your blog, by the way. :)

Congratulations!! It is definitely a true feat when you have accomplished so much. It takes hard work, dedication, and a whole lot of patience to be a work at home mom. I’ve been doing it for 6 years now and wouldn’t change a thing! There’s no better satisfaction than creating an income for yourself and your family. Again, congratulations! I wish you many years of success <3
    Amanda Wright (Warner) recently posted..When to Replace your Powder, Blush, and Bronzer..My Profile

Hi, Amanda!

Thanks for the encouragement — you’re inspiring to moms like me who have just somewhat begun this WAHM journey. Six years is amazing! Maybe some time you can share your story here — I’m sure the other mom-readers would LOVE it and be inspired at how you’ve WAHM-ed for all this time :) Have a stellar weekend!

Indeed I have definitely been in need and still on my break. I wah but I wah for a company instead of myself. I want to be totally centered in connected with God and I want him to know he has the number one spot in my life before I take off my training wills and do it by myself. I believe without that I would fail miserable. Kudos for taking time to yourself, it is much deserved, you do such a wonderful job here and I always enjoy hearing from you and reading your blog:)
    latoya @ the scott’s crib recently posted..What is a Shaklee Membership? How to get it FREE!!My Profile

Hi, Latoya!

I actually was doing a WAH arrangement with a company for a time, that is, until I ventured out on my own. I guess it was more like telecommuting, because I could work anywhere, anytime. Now, being able to do things on my own has been a blessing. You’re right: Without God, we would be utter failures. I grew up in the church, and being so, I have always had a strong prayer line to God. Thank you for your encouragement, I really appreciate it! Have a great weekend. So nice to hear from you again!