Why Dainty Mom is going to change and why I love it (and hope you will, too)

I started Dainty Mom with a recipe post on a summer salad and fish fillets.

Here’s a photo of that first post:

DaintyMom.com's first post: A recipe for fish fillets

DaintyMom.com’s first post: A recipe for fish fillets

I began blogging for no particular reason or goal. It was honestly because I wanted to give it a shot. I knew of one blog only back then — Simple Mom (now The Art of Simple) — and I loved the idea of being able to share things I was experiencing with the “cosmic void” out there. (Yes, that was another You’ve Got Mail reference).

Since I published that first post in March of 2010, things evolved quickly for me as a blogger. First, I went from being a freelance online writer to being the lead copywriter for an offshore company based in the U.S., all within, say, two months of resigning from my job as a tutorial center manager in a preschool. I learned on-the-job about how to write (and survive) online.

Then, I became “the mommy blogger” that everyone knew as “Dainty Mom.” It was amusing. I met many mommy friends (and lost a handful, too). I met advertisers and brand partners (and let go of several, too). I made many connections, gained new friends outside the mommy circle even, got invited to events, parties, press launches. I got hired to manage social media accounts, to do all sorts of sideline jobs that went with the whole shebang of being a “mommy blogger.”

Yes, it was fun. It was amusing. But honestly? Most of it was tiring, draining, and eventually, not enjoyable anymore.

But I held on to it, especially between 2011 and 2012.

Why?

Well, let’s just say I’m a hopeless romantic and optimist.

To be perfectly honest, I’ve been craving for a change here on Dainty Mom, something more than just a new design. (I already did that last April, after taking the Decor8 Blogging Your Way Course!)

I needed an internal design change, as a blogger.

After four years of WAHMing, blogging, and trying on different “sweaters” as one of my dear mentors puts it, I’ve seen that there are certain happy aspects of this blogging journey. The biggest realization? It’s that I can’t do most of the things that go with popular blogging — the events, the perks, the goodies — unless they are connected to my core, to my intentions and calling.

I explored this idea for most of 2013,  and so I scaled back: I reduced the number of posts I did and left room to share more of my personal reflections. I did far, far less in terms of sponsored posts than I did in previous years. I stopped taking guest posts from non-readers.

But despite those changes, the blog was still not where I wanted it to be. I wanted something more blissful, more personal, something more mission-bound. I wanted more clarity, more room to reflect, to grow, to cast visions and dream dreams.

Many of these things were put in the back burner, though, as there was still the reality of me being a co-breadwinner.

And, of course, I wanted more time to be with these two guys:

IMG_0004

Then, I started down two very significant mentorships — Trailblazer by Jonathan Mead’s Paid to Existand With Intention with my mentor Jess Lively.

These deserve their own blog posts in the future, as I’m still applying many of the principles and learning points to what’s happening now. All I can say is slowly but surely, I started to feel more empowered and hopeful that things would work out for me. As I simplified things in 2013, I started to see something marvelously unfold.

I started to see that I could find that bliss, a place that married my joys: faith, marriage, motherhood, home, blogging, and work.

I was determined to do a purposeful study of these things, and somehow see if I could make them work together.

In the last, say, four or five months of 2013, I started to map out how I wanted 2014 to look. After my mentorship with Jess, in particular, something in me clicked.

In some of my Instagrams and social media posts from the past year, you may have noticed my little hashtag, #makeitblissful. All along, it’s been a deliberate hint at the change that’s coming.

Part of that change included starting a series of workshops: (1) The WAHMderful Workshops for work-at-home moms, my joint venture with Manila Workshops, and (2) Dainty Mom Workshops, which mainly focus on blogging, creativity, and living blissfully.

Another part of that change involved saying goodbye to my online copywriting and social media job and starting out on my own for the first time as an entrepreneur.

As an entrepreneur, my sideline “raket” of blog coaching became a full-time deal. I began working with a number of women — bloggers and business owners — through my small consulting business, Martine de Luna (martinedeluna.com), helping them to plan and launch beautiful blogs and online communities of their own, just as I’d done.

I even began working on a new design and vision for what I wanted to do in 2014:

makeitblissful new site

Yes, ladies, bloggy belles and likely a handful of gentlemen: I’m changing more than my name in 2014.

I’m embracing the fact that there’s a growing community around the idea of bliss.

Some of you already knew about this months ago — thanks for being my soul whisperers, my cheerleaders. You know who you are (and soon, everyone will know, too!)

My personal blog entries on me, specifically, will be on my personal site, martinedeluna.com

I’m letting Dainty Mom and WAHMderful Life find a common home on the new Make it Blissful site.

I’ll be introducing you to contributors: inspiring, blissful women who’ve known me through this journey towards change and have supported me with their encouragement.

I’ll be releasing more great workshops in 2014 as well, some of which will be conducted in partnership with these creative women.

***

My word for the year — LOVE — has everything to do with the new changes that will be happening. I’m focusing on content that I (and my guest writers) will love writing and you, dear reader, will love reading.

To be clear, I will still have some sponsored content here and there — but it won’t be as often. In the past year, in particular, I have turned down several sponsored post opportunities. Many were just not a good, right fit for the bliss I wanted to achieve on the blog.

Make it Blissful won’t worry about all that too much. Yes, sponsored content will still have a place, but no longer a prominent one. Instead, I want to focus on “HE(ARTicles)”, articles with meaning, articles that are loaded with inspiring yet practical tips & tricks, that articulate real lessons and stories from daily living.

It’s wonderful. It’s also scary.

But, all this… it gives me peace. It has been so, so, so wonderful to conceive this not-so-new-but-still-new space. You’ll recognize many of the old articles, and you’ll welcome fresh new ones, too.

Is it all too much to take in, though? What do you think? Did I scare you? Did this excite you? I would very, very much appreciate it if you shared your thoughts in the comments.

Comments

I’ve been lurking in daintymom for a while, but never commented. Congratulations on the new blog revamp! Good for you. :) I’ve been blogging since 2005, albeit sporadically, and despite being on the blogosphere for 9 years now, my blog has never reached epic proportions, unlike yours! ;) So keep it up. Will browse around here for inspiration. ;)

Thanks, Aggie! I’m sure nowhere near epic proportions, but if my blog and workshops are helping a few, then I’m truly grateful for it. Thanks for commenting! :)

2. Carmel says

Finally got to read this beautiful entry! I’m really excited for your new website! I love your word of the year —truly there’d be no bliss without love. :)

Thanks for the support, Leah! In my heart, I know this is the right direction. It’s very freeing to open my blog to ALL women, not just moms. I’m so happy! :) Happy new year, indeed, to YOU, too!

Hi Martine! Wow! I’m sure it will be an exciting year for you, and for us, your readers! I think 2014 is going to be a good year for all of us, bloggers. I’m also planning a couple of changes to my blog, after doing a lot of brainstorming, inspired by what I learned from your workshop. So cheers to us, “blissfinders”! This year’s going to be exciting :)
    ays recently posted..I’m back! Happy New Year!My Profile

Hi Martine,
    Congrats. I’m super duper excited for you. You are starting something very beautiful becomes it comes from deep within your core. I’m sure you will do just as great, nah, better than what you have done for dainty mom. All the best for your following your heart’s desires. May God bless you in your new endeavor. We’ll be supporting you all the way.

Chinky

p.s. My comment is suppressed because there are no exclamation marks in this laptop. and cannot copy and paste…..hahahaha… but if there were this comment would be full of it exclamation points here……..and here….. and here……

Thanks, Chinky! I know you understand me, because we are very much alike in our life purpose and mission. I’m glad that you are there for me! Thank you so much for the support. :)

I love the idea, Marts! :) You never run out of amazing ideas! I wish you success and happiness (relating to this bold move) this year. I think a lot of ladies will be inspired to take their blogs toward that direction on writing about what makes you happy… Truly blissful :) I am excited to see all these changes. I’m excited for you! :) You know that i’ll always be here to support you :)
    Ginger P. Arboleda recently posted..A Drop Dead Healthy LadyMy Profile

Ginger!! This has been long in my heart, along with everything that you’ve helped me see to fruition. Of course we will continue working together beyond just the WAHMs! I’m hoping you’ll guest post often here in MiB, especially for the entrepreneur articles! Please? :):)

Thanks, Cyn :) And good luck on YOURS, it’s looking beautiful. I hope you’ll allow me to feature your blog on my business site one time? Thanks!

Martine!!!! This is the second time I read this post. All I can say is, I can feel the bubbly-butterflies-in-your-stomach feeling you have while announcing this NEW and BETTER change! I am excited for you. I’ve said this countless times, that you inspire me to do better and write soulful content for my blog. I look up to you and I actually want to follow your path leading to inspiring more women and moms and make their lives more meaningful and blissful. This change takes your heartfelt mission to a higher level. :)

As with what you’ve achieved for yourself Martine, I know you’ll succeed with this bold change. I am really excited and HAPPY for you Martine! I can’t wait to see it! Good luck and I wish you all the best!!!! Happy New Year! Love Love Love – Louise
    Louise | Mommy Practicality recently posted..Thanking the Good 2013. Welcoming the Promising 2014!My Profile

Dearest Louise, thank you! I’m supportive of YOU 100%!! I hope to work with you as well in the future, but more than that, to hang out with you (and D!) like we did before. We mommas need our “me” time! Mwah! See you soon and happy New Year!

I’m super super excited for you, Martine!!
    I’ve been mulling over a blog change too. I’ve kinda lost my passion and vision over the last year and as I sit down during this time of the year to reflect and plan for the new year, I feel it’s time I make some radical changes too. I’m tired of doing the sponsored posts. While they had been fun, they took my time away from what’s really important to me. They weren’t exactly meaningful to me too. I’m don’t know where it will lead me but change is ahead for sure. And I love your new design!!
    Ruth recently posted..Orange Studios – Telling Unique Family Stories Through PhotosMy Profile

Dear Ruth: This has been a long time coming, hasn’t it? I remember our Skype conversation from a few months ago, when this was just an idea, and now, I feel like it’s all coming together. The new design — very simple, very understated — is a reflection of me, I guess. I wanted to peel back all the layers and just reveal what I really am passionate about, and that’s really my family, other women, living with a clear purpose, and having my Maker at the center. I hope we can work together somehow this new year, too!

Marts, I’ve always known your blog will evolve a’la Art of Simple (seriously, you can ask my husband! I said something like this to him last year) and build a community of like minded ladies (not just moms) around your message of bliss making and intentional living. This is the next logical step for the Dainty Mom, and I am super excited for what 2014 has in store for you! Make way for Martine, 2014 :)
    Van recently posted..Quick Pick Me-Ups to Get Out of a FunkMy Profile

Thank you, Van! You can be sure I’ll be asking you to contribute here, LOL! The “mom” part was hard to let go, at first, but as things got clearer on what I wanted to do, it became natural to just open up my heart to more women. The workshops confirmed that, which is why I stopped calling them “Write On, MOM” and just “Write On/Blog Bliss”.

Here’s to blissful living in 2014 — and for the rest of our lives. :)

Eeeppp!!! I am so excited for you, always naman eh. Can’t wait for your new “baby”. I have said a million times and I will say it again, you inspire me to write post/blog things that comes from the heart. And because of you, of your encouragement I sti continue to blog and all. My day wouldn’t be complete without reading your post.
    Ma. Teresa Grech Q. Racal recently posted..Thank You And Goodbye 2013My Profile

Ohh emmm, you’re my blogging heroine, M! I’m rooting for you, you know I am. :) I’ve been holding my breath for this announcement!

This post makes me feel restless, just as I always feel when I receive emails from you, or having coffee with you. Which is a good thing. You’re already making a huge difference around here, and I have no doubts that you can make an even bigger impact with your vision. Exciting times, indeed!

My one little word for 2014 is “passion”, and much of my desires and dreams for 2014 resonate well with everything you expressed in this post. This year is all about wearing our hearts on our sleeves. Bring it! :)
    Riz recently posted..Oh hello, 2014My Profile

You know what your post gave me, Martine? A genuine smile. Looking forward to your inspiring posts and workshops. All the best And thank you for being selfishly selfless (does that make sense?) :-)
    Maggie recently posted..New Year, New HopeMy Profile

Thanks, Maggie! It’s all coming together, and though it’s all-new, it feels right and feels like “home” in many ways. Thanks always for the support!

I’m excited more than scared for you! Why not scared?!? Because you have that passion and you know what you really want and somehow, for the past months, everything has unfolded in God’s perfect time. And when its His time, its just as perfect! :) Excited na ko! :)

Thanks, Airees! I hope you’ll also collaborate on the new site, that’s going to be it’s one beauty!! I’m excited to have my blog workshop classmates contribute, it’ll be a most awesome way to share our blogs with like-minded women! See you sometime this year! :)

You know what they say about “great minds,” right? I was (and still am actually) praying about a major change in my blog’s name and “intention” or mission too! It’s something I’ve been mulling over since Christmas. Still praying about it though! You know you have my support and prayers, Marts! God bless you!
    Tina @ Truly Rich Mom recently posted..One Verse, One Word, One Saint for 2014My Profile

We DO think alike, don’t we?! Letting go of the “mom” in the name was a long and difficult task, but it was really the support and encouragement of you guys (readers, friends) that made things more clear for me. See you soon! I still have your Christmas gift!!

• says

I still have yours, too! I thought I’d be able to give it to you at the SVP Christmas party. Anyway, it really is funny, because I have been thinking about letting go of the “mom” part, too — maybe because of what Tsh did, but also because I’ve been praying about writing about who I was in the past and how I’ve evolved as a woman, not just as a mom. I don’t know when God will lead me to take the plunge, like you are doing now, but at least I know you’ll be there to support and encourage me IF and WHEN that time comes! :) See you soon!

Thanks, Patricia! It’s the hardest inspiration board I ever did, because it’s mine and it’s so simple. It went through many rounds of paring down and editing, until it finally looked like what I envisioned. I’m excited for this!

Trackbacks