Can you create your “freedom lifestyle”?

Make It Blissful-98

I sometimes get funny looks and email responses from people who ask about my blog. Some say, “Why are you trying to be different?” Others say, “Why do you have this agenda for meaningful living?” Still others ask things like, “How do I fall in love again with my husband?” or “I don’t know what to do with my life. Can you help?”

Well, to the questions about husbands (which was actually sent in by a reader last week): I have some helpful blog posts that you might check out: The Power of a Praying Wife (by blissmaker Tina)  |  Do You Look Your Best for your Husband?   |   My Hubby and Recent Thoughts on Marriage

For the other questions, I have this to say: If I’m trying to be different, it’s because it’s my blog. Being different is a lesson I learned from my mentor Holly Becker specifically, who recently wrote about the future of blogging and how most blogs out there right now are no longer trying to be different. So the style blogs are all the same; the mommy blogs, too; the design & interior blogs — same thing.

So if sometimes what I write gets people’s eyes rolling, I don’t really mind nor fuss over. Different strokes for different folks, right?  I’ve always been a life-hacker, someone who tries to figure out how to do things differently, or easier, or in a more intentional way. I’m silly enough to give it my own term: “blissmaking.”

Sounds silly to some, yes.

But there’s a point to all this, to why the blog is about “bliss.”

Blissmaking & creating freedom

Last weekend, during the two workshops I spoke at — The WAHMderful Workshop: Real Ways to be a Work-at-Home Mom and the Create Freedom Online 2.0 by We Are Sole Sisters I gave a talk entitled, “Blogging to Create Your Freedom Lifestyle.” We talked about blissmaking in length.

And you know what blissmaking is all about — really?

It’s this:

create freedom online

For the moms in the morning workshop, having a freedom lifestyle meant that they could — as we say in the WAHMderful Life — “make a living while making a home.” It meant more than simply finding a work at home job. For the WAHMs and the “WAHM-seekers”, creating a freedom lifestyle meant

• acquiring financial wisdom — and not just “tactics” on how to earn, save and invest their money;
  • strength-finding in terms of work they could do. Why? So that they wouldn’t need to feel overcome by the very work that brought them home to be with their kids;
  • being able to integrate their family lives and their work. Some moms wanted to do work at home because they were homeschooling, or because they wanted to be hands-on with their small kids.

For WAHMs, creating a freedom lifestyle means being able to live towards their beliefs, their values, their convictions.

create freedom

In the afternoon, I spoke at the Create Freedom 2.0 Workshop by the travel blog, We Are Sole Sisters. The people who attended were a mix of employees, freelancers, and a handful of bloggers. For the Create Freedom 2.0 Workshop in the afternoon, a “freedom lifestyle” meant:

• being able to work from anywhere;
  • doing what you love and getting paid to be “you”;
  • financial freedom and savvy — and not just having loads of money for spending — what Fitz Villafuerte talked about in his crash-course on personal finance;
  • being able to travel the world, just to really experience the world — which is what speaker #1 Yoshe Dimen of The Poor Traveler talked about
  • having meaningful experiences with the family;
  • that feeling of contentment that your life and work can impact others, empower others, and uplift others — which is, in general what I talked about in my portion.

Anyone who’s wanted to do any of the above can and should pursue them. These scenarios also make up my own idea of a “freedom lifestyle,” something I have imbibed, especially after taking Jonathan Mead’s 6-month course last year. I ended up creating my own job description, based on what I love to do: blog, write, and commune with women.

I have a freedom lifestyle right now, because I get to do all these things while still being with my husband and son, almost 90% of the time.

Define your idea of freedom.

Now, my situation isn’t for everyone. I know mom friends of mine who don’t want to stay with their family 24/7, and there’s nothing wrong with that. Each to his and her own.

The point is:  My freedom lifestyle lets me live the way I want to live and work.

• I work from home. Working from home, for me, is freedom.
  • I get “paid to be me”. I love helping women brand and build their blog. Doing the work that I love is freedom
  • I don’t travel a lot, because I do love homemaking. When we do travel, it’s planned according to our budget and convenience. Being able to plan our travels is freedom.
  • I believe that our close-knit, nuclear setup as “work anywhere parents” is also part of our freedom lifestyle, and we wouldn’t have it any other way right now. Next year, who knows? That’s the beauty of a freedom lifestyle: You can go with the flow, and plan that flow. Being close-knit, while our son is young enough to homeschool: it’s freedom for us.

So, in answer to the questions —

“Why are you trying to be different?” and “Why do you have this agenda for meaningful living?”

It’s simply because I can and I want to do things this way on my blog. I want to blog about the questions we ask in life — and hopefully, find some answers that we can all talk about. I want to keep holding workshops on bliss-finding and creating freedom for ourselves, so that we can achieve our dreams. I want to keep up this nuclear-family lifestyle that we have, for as long as we can or until we feel the nudge to take a different route. Some call it “intentional living”, “creating freedom” or “blissfinding.”

Whatever the term, the point is to keep blazing a path towards freedom. We don’t have to live according to templates. Isn’t it more exciting that way?

What for YOU is a “freedom lifestyle”? Let’s get a discussion going in the comments, yes?

Comments

Freedom for me is time flexibility and having the independence to make my own work choices. A lot of people will trade half their salaries to follow a passion they love. So to be able to do that according to your own control of your time is freedom!

Thanks, Kristine! It’s really something to think about. :) What were some insights that you picked up from this post?

Thank you for sharing this Marts! For me FREEDOM LIFESTYLE is being able to do all the roles and wear the hats that I have, at the same time ENJOYING it and LOVING every moment of it…I came to you almost a year ago with that very question “What do I do now?”…slowly you helped me learn how to work my business around my lifestyle and not the other way around…at first I was so preoccupied with my “work from home” business, that I was forgetting to prioritize the HOME and FAMILY!…now with embracing and being in love with what I have and what I do, not being stressed with what I earn- instead enjoying the process and knowing that what I do helps others and gives me a creative output, I feel FREE and HAPPY and FULL…still not a perfect life, but all is well in my sweet cottage!:)

Hi, Maricel!

You have an amazing work-life balance now, it’s inspiring! I love that you can do your passion through your work. It’s not everyday this happens so keenly for people, and I’m so happy I got to be a part of your journey to bliss! Miss you, and catch up with you soon :)

• says

Awwww thanks Marts! First, i miss you and we have to catch up soon!…secondly, I am thankful everyday for God’s design in my life. I thank Him for His plans for me and for sending people to help and guide me through it…and that includes you! :)

We are all FREE to choose what kind of lifestyle we want to have, the important thing is, it’s a wise choice. In my perfect world, I would have wanted to live a life where I could just stay at home, make a living while making a home. I want to be able to spend more time with my children and be able to serve hubby. I am slowly working towards it Martine and I can see myself in that future, living the life that I want. I feel that I am designed to be free so I could do and achieve so many other things in life for myself and my family. Honestly speaking I’m living in a template.. templates are boring! I need to get out of it. :)

Thank you for sharing this, Martine. :)

As of now I define “freedom” as being able to wake up at a time I want with my baby beside me (hubby has to get up early for work, heehee). I consider it as one of God’s blessings. Others may call me “mababaw” but I really find bliss in it. We all have different definitions or terms for freedom but just like what you’ve said, it’s how this word fits in to our daily lives that matters.

I have not yet reached the kind of financial freedom I’m dreaming of. I’m not stopping from pursuing it, though. Challenging, yes, but I believe it will be well worth it.

For now I’m just savouring every moment and enjoying the path where my God is leading me. Don’t know the end of it yet, one thing I’m very sure though, He’s there to surprise me. And that I believe is “freedom” too. :)

Freedom for me is being unencumbered by superfluous baggage, literally and emotionally. It’s wonderful how different the idea of freedom looks like for everyone. Finding the courage to define it according to our own terms, and living according to that definition can be so liberating :)

Wow! You never fail to instill in my mind what I could do. I am a stay at home mom, I tried doing blogging because I want to share what a stay at home mom usually do. And what I love to do more is reading, this is why I changed my blog name for the nth time cause I want to share the books I read and what I learned from them. I am not a good writer but I could write how and what I feel. There are days (weeks) that my thoughts are not there but when I write it down, it just flows. I guess I could create my own freedom lifestyle as well. This is why I so love your blog… Being different with a different voice is not bad…. It makes you stand out more… Thanks for this…