Going through low seasons, strong

IMG_3554

Sometimes making things blissful is all about seeing the possibilities in the problems. Who knew used toilet paper rolls could be so cute, right? Such a metaphor for my life right now.

I just came from the OB-Gyn this afternoon, for my first checkup for the 2nd trimester. It’s all good news! I’ve gained two pounds since last month (yay, not overweight); baby is good, and has a strong heartbeat; baby is also moving around already, though only detectable using the sonogram (I can’t feel his/her little kicks yet).

It’s always a relief to know that the pregnancy is going well. We will have a congenital scan next week along with the ultrasound, to check if everything is normal. I took antibiotics in the first trimester due to an infection, so I’m praying they had no effect on B2 (um, that’s “Baby no. 2″ for your information. Sorry, haha.)

While I’m happy about B2, I started this week of sad, due to some work projects that had to run their course. I lost a client — one of my favorite ones — due to budget cuts and other business-related matters that I can’t get into. It’s never easy to lose a client, especially when you are pregnant and giving birth in five months! (Help, Lord!) I’m learning to look up, though, and to find the meaning and message in this circumstance.

Thank you, Max Lucado, for helping me stand my ground.

seasons - quotes

Seasons of suffering, lack, drought and emptiness: These are the most precious seasons of our lives. More than the joyful moments, the worry-free periods, it’s during times of brokenness that we learn the biggest lessons of all, like trust in God, initiative, how to create opportunities instead of letting setbacks keep us down. I like Lucado’s point on “pondering, exploring and using a problem.”

That’s what making things blissful is all about, isn’t it?

I have to find the silver lining in my situation now, and after a day or so of feeling numb and of worrying, I’ve decided there’s no other way than to explore other opportunities. As my friend Marge the Happy WAHM says, “make it a point to choose happiness everyday.” YES! There is no other way to live, I think. Choosing happiness doesn’t mean ignoring the difficulties and problems, of course. What is does mean is that you can choose to face those problems with a gumption for making them stepping stones to better things.

I’m confident better things are ahead of me. I just have to set up my stepping stones!

Meanwhile, I’ll use this “lull” in my business to go back to the basics, and spend more time resting up. I’ll still need to work — freelancing ain’t free, ironically. Haha. More time for art, for creating; more time for dreaming and planning. (Of course, if there are things we can work on together, hit me up and email me, please!)

How do you deal with “low” times, losing a client, maybe even losing a job? How have you picked yourself up from a setback? Please, let’s share and support one another in the comments. Hugs!

Comments

Great post Martine…it is in the tough times that we need to call on all our strengths the most, often rediscovering strengths that had been lying dormant for a while. And strengths are also found in the gift of a support network, which you obviously have here :) Hang in there! I agree with Marge, “choose happiness”! Not that it is so easy to do that…I know what it’s like to think “I am not bloody choosing happiness today dammit!!” but it really pays off in the end and I realize that I am the one benefitting from it :) Let me know when you want to touch base…no hurry at all, I totally understand if you need a bit of a slowdown! Sending a hug through the wires!!

This is inspiring, Martine! I have lost a job and it’s not pretty, especially when I know it’s my fault. Sometimes, I look back and feel sad about it. But, it has led me to other things and I guess I used this experience to do better at my last job. Each teaching and humbling experience comes from God and I guess it’s a moment to draw nearer to Him and to strengthen the faith more.

By the way, I love the cute paper tubes!

Life has its way of bringing you sunshine when you most need it. We need phases like this. I needed this and I was sent tons of it. In the journey to keep afloat, your blog helped me go through it. I know you’ll go through this beautifully, blissfully. ☀️☀️☀️

As a freelance and work-at-home entrepreneur, basically, I am use with it or I may say, numb with it. I always stay positive and just moving forward for everything. Keeping me busy by exploring other stuffs made me not to think of it. Family around knows if I did not feel A-ok because they would notice that I would clean a lot in the house and cook / bake even without occasion. They just let me. At the end of the day where everyone is sleep, I have to reflect, doodle notes on my scrapbook and most important, pray for guidance. Some of my inspiration also is my mommy lola, who is 92 years old now. She raised her 8 children alone as my lolo died early in lung cancer. I know life then was simple compare to now, still she would always tell me to be prudent, frugal, diligent, industrious and be simple always. Let the family be an inspiration seeing them smile with you or the most hug you. Appreciate them. Compared daw to other people, others are suffered so much like cancer, ako mawalan lang ng pera prang wala ng buhay to look for. As long na masipag ang tao apo, walang magugutom.
    Anyway, that’s my lola who managed to advise us w/ a beer in her side. LOL!

You take care, Ms. Martine. I think I have share this in one of my posts – http://www.livelifefullest.com/my-learning-as-a-freelance

Marts! I lost jobs THREE TIMES. The first time was a few months before Bud and I got married, which was so scary, because, well, we were getting married! My work-from-home contract ended, and it drove us crazy because he was coming back here, which means my job is important for us to start our lives together. I got a new job just a few months before our wedding day, and God’s timing couldn’t have been more perfect.

The second time was when I gave birth and couldn’t come back to work because Dawn wouldn’t feed from her bottle. I was on my extended maternity leave, but I had to resign altogether because of Dawn’s situation. That was a relatively easy decision to make though, because I had a freelance gig at that time which was earning me more than the job I just lost. Guess what, 4 months after I resigned from my full-time job, I lost my freelance gig. I was job-less for two months, with 2 babies, and a one-income household. For two months we were living on our savings! And then I found Spira. (Or Spira found me.) :)

You know, it’s funny how scary and exciting losing a job had been for me. Everytime I lose a job, I always feel excited after because it only means God was preparing something even better, even bigger. That’s His promise, and I always claim His promise! Even more when you have a baby! “Children are a gift from the Lord, they’re a reward from Him.” (Psalm 127:3-5) Baby comes with blessings. God gives them to us, and He’s the one who provides for them. :) So, while I want to send you comfort hugs because I do know how scary this is, but a part of me is truly excited for you because I know God is pulling off something in your life here. ;) Praying for you, Marts! :)

Hi Martine! I feel you :( I’ve been in lots of low seasons in my life too. At times i question God but I remember that He is sovereign and is fully in control of everything. He sees beyond what our mortal eyes can’t see that’s why it’s better to trust Him like what you said especially in difficult times. If I may share Romans 8:28, “All things work together for good to those who love Him, those who were called to his purpose” ALL includes both successes and losses. Hope is alive as long as Christ is in you. Hugs to you!