A mini-fridge can offer great versatility in your home or dorm room. That extra storage space for a few beverages, food items, or even skincare products can prove indispensable.
They should also be quiet as you may need to house one in your bedroom or gaming room for easy access. If you plan on sleeping or enjoying some peace and quiet, that mini-fridge needs to be whisper-quiet.
You could want a mini-fridge for your dorm room and almost as soon as you plug it in you can hear that annoying buzz. Not that it is perceptibly loud yet you know that noise will keep you awake and harm your peaceful studying. Especially as your dorm will have other annoying features, such as people slamming doors or disturbing you with vacuuming etc.
Having a quiet mini-fridge should mean almost silent storage.
Keeping a few cans, food items, or skincare products at their ideal and adjustable temperature while looking stylish wherever you put it. In this guide, we will look at the 12 quietest mini-fridges.
Best For Stylish Design
[amazon fields=”B0116QNKXU” value=”thumb” image_size=”large”]
With eight colors to choose from, few quiet mini-fridges can offer such versatility in style. The RCA RFR321-FR320/8 IGLOO Mini Refrigerator looks great anyway but bold colors set it apart.
Then consider the energy-efficient compressor cooling with a thermostat control and there is some great functionality too. That includes a reversible fridge door with four storage compartments which we enjoyed in our experience of this product.
- Energy Saving – The mini-fridge can boast an annual power consumption with a maximum of 5 kilowatts per hour
- Reversible Door – Whether you place it in your kitchen, dorm room, or office, the door opening direction can be reversed
- Eight Different Colors – Choose from Black, White, Platinum, Red, Purple, Orange, Green, and Blue
- Not Frost-Free – You may have to deal with a layer of frost if you set the thermostat to coldest
Also available from eBay[amazon box=”B0116QNKXU”]
Best For Retro Design
[amazon fields=”B07H9J3LNW” value=”thumb” image_size=”large”]
Just to look at the Cooluli Retro Coca-Cola Mini Fridge is to glance at a blast from the past. The retro design and the striking red, white, and blue colors will no doubt be a talking point on your next trip. Or in your kitchen, entertainment room, or dorm room.
Cooluli’s unique cooling system also means you can turn it to warming with one handy switch. The durable design is ideal for car travel so hoist it into the back full of cans or food and off you go which we liked in our testing.
- Retro Look – The red, blue, and white colors will make a bold addition to any room
- EcoMax Technology – Cooluli’s unique technology means its cooling system can switch to warming
- Durable Design – The mini-fridge has been designed for road trips and camping so comes well-prepared for car travel
- No USB Cable Charging – Unlike other models, this mini-fridge does not come with USB cable charging functionality
Also available directly from Cooluli[amazon box=”B07H9J3LNW”]
Best For Portability
[amazon fields=”B09CHCKXW6″ value=”thumb” image_size=”large”]
Quiet mini-fridges are ideal for road trips too. Maybe a fishing trip with a couple of soda cans or a picnic where you want to keep six 12 oz beer cans icy cold.
Perhaps some soup that you want to keep warm. That’s right, at the flick of a switch, you can turn the mini-fridge from cooling to warming. Either way, the mini-fridge can be hooked up to a 12V car charger for great portability.
That it is freon-free is also a welcome sign of a truly reliable mini-fridge which we enjoyed in our experience of this product.
- Cool/Warm Switching – Though you may just want to keep items cold, the versatility of maintaining warm food should not be discounted in this quiet mini fridge
- 12V Car Charger Compatibility – Two plugs are included and the quiet mini-fridge can use a 12V car charger making it road trip ready
- Freon-Free – Chefman is proud to boast that this mini-fridge is free of freons which are nonflammable substances used in refrigeration that can be harmful
- Lackluster Cooling – While great for portability, the mini-fridge does not have a temperature range as impressive as other models
Also available directly from Chefman[amazon box=”B09CHCKXW6″]
Best For Storing Fruit And Vegetables
[amazon fields=”B078XTF1QR” value=”thumb” image_size=”large”]
While a lot of mini-fridges are aimed at those who want to host a party, you may want to be healthier with yours. For a mini-fridge that has a crisper drawer, consider the Costway 3.2 cu ft. Mini Refrigerator Unit.
Not only will it keep your fruit and vegetables fresh but even cooling will do the job for everything else. You can even remove the glass shelf which is convenient for both cleaning and storage which we liked in our testing.
- Crisper Drawer – This is one of the few mini-fridges that you can use to keep your fruit and vegetables fresh
- Removable Glass Shelf – Convenient cleaning and storage versatility with a removable glass shelf
- Excellent Performance – For even cooling, the mini-fridge works really well for food and beverages
- Difficult Opening – Though the magnetic door seal works well for sealing against harmful bacteria, it may prove difficult to open occasionally
Also available directly from Costway[amazon box=”B078XTF1QR”]
Best For Energy Efficiency
[amazon fields=”B00MMRFNNS” value=”thumb” image_size=”large”]
Energy star ratings are a great indicator of a mini-fridge that is worth your investment. With an advanced compressor, the Midea WHS-65LSS1, 1.6 Cu. Ft. Compact Refrigerator comes well recommended for energy efficiency.
An adjustable thermostat is ideal for a slight tweak in temperature when you need it which we liked in our testing. Even the legs are adjustable in case you need the mini-fridge to be that little bit higher
- Advanced Compressor – An energy star rating is fully merited for the advanced compressor
- Mechanical Temperature Control – With a temperature range from -2° to 2°C, you can make excellent use of their adjustable thermostat
- Adjustable Legs – Easily change the height of the mini-fridge with adjustable legs
Not Ideal For Frozen Food – Though there is a freezer compartment, it is not ideal for frozen foods or ice trays
Also available directly from Midea[amazon box=”B00MMRFNNS”]
Best For Quiet Operation
[amazon fields=”B01MRPM7D7″ value=”thumb” image_size=”large”]
Another mini-fridge that you could find a spot for in your bedroom is the Smad Mini Fridge. For a whisper-quiet accommodation, look out for absorption technology that can boast to be more efficient than a compressor.
Ideal for the noise-sensitive, and those who may prefer the choice of which way the door hinge goes. There is also the versatility of adjustable shelves if you want to get imaginative with your bottle stacking, which we liked in our testing.
- Absorption Technology – Whisper-quiet operating is assured with absorption refrigerators
- Adjustable Shelves – Whether you want to store wine bottles or taller beer bottles, the shelves can be adjusted for your custom fit
- Reversible Door Hinge – The mini-fridge is versatile enough to accommodate a left or right-handed opening
Increased 12V Energy Consumption – When connected to a 12V power source, the mini-fridge should consume more power
Also available directly from Smad[amazon box=”B01MRPM7D7″]
Best Mini-Fridge With A Freezer
[amazon fields=”B01DZQI700″ value=”thumb” image_size=”large”]
Sure, a mini-fridge is great for a party but having the added functionality of a freezer compartment is more than welcome. Black + Decker BCRK25V Compact Refrigerator comes with a tray for ice cubes in case you wanted to host an impromptu party.
Even cocktails if you desired. The flat back design means that the mini-fridge can be slotted in with minimal fuss. There is even a door storage shelf for those sizable two-liter bottles, which we liked in our testing.
- Freezer Compartment – Just like a traditional fridge, the freezer compartment also comes with an ice cube tray
- Door Shelf – Store your tall two-liter bottles in the full-width door storage shelf
- Flat Back Design – An ideal construction for slotting into a tight space
- Difficult Door Swapping – Some users have noted that it should be easy to swap the door orientation yet proves difficult
Also available directly from Black + Decker[amazon box=”B01DZQI700″]
Best For Wine Bottles
[amazon fields=”B07F9RNZPB” value=”thumb” image_size=”large”]
Not all of us can afford a wine cellar so the best available option should be a fridge that can keep the temperature and humidity down. With a reinforced glass door, the Antarctic Star 1.6cu.ft Wine Cooler/Cabinet Beverage Refrigerator keeps bottles in the best condition.
Whether for a future gathering or simply for as long as you want. That air-tight seal will not let you down and can maintain a suitable humidity level which we enjoyed in our experience of this product.
A soft blue LED also showcases your wine in a flattering shade. Horizontal racking is ideal for wine bottles and you can even opt for a bigger size if you wanted.
- Suited For Wines – The shelf setup is ideally suited for accommodating wine bottles
- Optional Size – If you really like the operation of this mini-fridge then you can get it in 2.3, 3.2, or 4.4. cubic feet sizes
- Reinforced Glass Door – To keep your beverages at their coldest, a reinforced glass door will keep the temperature down
- Difficult To Understand Manual – Some users have reported that the included manual is confusing
Also available from eBay[amazon box=”B07F9RNZPB”]
Best For The Bedroom
[amazon fields=”B07Y8T5GK3″ value=”thumb” image_size=”large”]
A lot of mini-fridges can claim to be quiet yet the real test is whether it keeps you up or not. The Cooluli 15L Mini Fridge For Bedroom should go unnoticed, apart from the stylish design.
Great to store a few drinks or skincare products, you can also take it with you. As a portable option, this mini-fridge uses both AC and DC power making it ideal for a road trip which we liked in our testing.
- Silent Operation – Have the convenience of a mini-fridge without the noise that might keep you up
- Stylish Design – A cute look means it would look great in your bedroom for a few drinks and your skincare products
- Versatile And Portable Power – Ideal for traveling, the mini-fridge can use both AC and DC power
- Ambient Temperature Operating – The mini-fridge can heat or cool on the flick of a switch though this is based on ambient temperature which may not be ideal in warm climates
Also available directly from Cooluli[amazon box=”B07Y8T5GK3″]
Best For Beverages
[amazon fields=”B0083H1INK” value=”thumb” image_size=”large”]
For a mini-fridge just for beverages, look no further than the NewAir Beverage Refrigerator Cooler. Though it boasts a fridge capacity for 126 standard drinks cans, the adjustable shelves can be accommodating for tall bottles and larger cans.
This was a feature we enjoyed in our experience of this product. With a freestanding design and seven temperature settings, this is an easy setup that should be ready in no time.
- Customized Storage – A set of adjustable shelves is ideal for a wide variety of bottles and cans
- Seven Temperature Settings – Whether for soda or beer, there will be a temperature setting ideal for you
- Freestanding Design – Just plug in the fridge and stack it up
- Simply For Beverages – Though you could store food in this mini-fridge, it is suited for beverages
Also available directly from NewAir[amazon box=”B0083H1INK”]
Best For Colorful Design
[amazon fields=”B01DJFLC6I” value=”thumb” image_size=”large”]
If your home needs that extra refrigerator space then the Danby DAR044A6LDB Mini Fridge is ideal. With 4.4 cubic feet of space, that should be enough for that big party with a shelving design for tall bottles.
An automatic defrost system makes easy work of cleaning and maintenance which we liked in our testing. The retro look of a curved metallic door and a deep red chassis finish will also make a bold addition to any room.
- 4.4 Cubic Feet Capacity – Sizable room for tall bottles and food
- Automatic Defrost System – Simple cleaning with a defrost system that does the maintenance for you
- Metallic Door And Chassis – The retro design will look great in any room
- Larger Than Most – Though still a mini fridge, this one may be a little larger than desired
Also available directly from Danby[amazon box=”B01DJFLC6I”]
Best For Skincare
[amazon fields=”B0811NSX6S” value=”thumb” image_size=”large”]
Undoubtedly, most of the mini-fridges being manufactured are aimed at storing beverages. If you wanted to keep your skincare cool then the AstroAI Mini Fridge is ideal.
With a removable shelf, you can stack your cosmetics and skincare products however you want. That svelte design and compact size holds nine liters which offers versatility for beverages if you require it.
That this mini-fridge is also one of the most eco-friendly models available makes it a great choice.
- Removable Shelf – Enjoy the convenience of being able to store cosmetics and skincare products how you want to
- Compact Size – Nine liters of capacity is big enough for twelve 12oz soda cans if you wanted to transport some beverages cold
- Eco-Friendly – With a semiconductor refrigerator chip you can be assured that the mini-fridge is environmentally friendly and freon-free
- Possible Condensation – Some users have reported that the mini-fridge can leave some condensation occasionally
Also available directly from AstroAI[amazon box=”B0811NSX6S”]
A quiet mini-fridge is a superb addition to your home or dorm room. Whether in the kitchen for additional storage space or for easy access to a few soda cans or snacks in the gaming or dorm room.
They can also ensure a party goes swimmingly by providing that one-off space for keeping drinks cool when your regular fridge is full. However, unless there is a party in full swing you will want a quiet operation.
You should also consider how mini you want your mini-fridge. If its main use is going to be for the odd road trip then consider portability and a slight compromise on size. Only a few cans may be warranted so only a limited capacity is required.
Perhaps four liters will be more than enough for six 12oz soda cans for a long day out fishing. Then again, you could desire the mini-fridge to cater for large gatherings so opt for one that has a built-in wine rack for a few bottles.
The noise level may be the single feature that means the most, and rightly so. A limited decibel level should not mean extreme energy bills and many mini-fridges can be whisper-quiet. It is worth considering how loud certain decibel levels can be.
For instance, 40 decibels is that of a quiet library whereas 60 decibels is akin to a dishwasher.
Depending on which room you want to place the mini-fridge may be decisive in the noise level you can accept. If it is in the kitchen, 45 to 50 decibels should sit well in the kitchen alongside several other appliances.
Should a mini-fridge boast of being quiet, it should produce under 40 decibels. A few decibels lower and you should not be able to hear it, making it ideal for the bedroom.
The quietest mini- refrigerators boast of an operation at only 1 decibel which is more than whisper-quiet. You may have to check it’s even on such is the lack of noise.
The size and storage capacity of your mini-fridge should match your proposed purpose for it. For road trips, you may only need a four-liter capacity for a few cans and snacks.
The weight is also important and a mini-fridge that only weighs around four pounds should be easy to transport. For your kitchen, you may want a larger size to make it suitable for the odd impromptu gathering and to keep your wine in the best condition.
That this cannot be a noisy fridge goes without saying.
Not only should the mini-fridge cater to your desired capacity, but you should also expect some organization in there too. Certainly, a removable shelf can mean cramming in those large two-liter bottles when you need to.
That option also means that it should prove easier to clean and maintain too. You can even find a mini-fridge with a crisper drawer which is ideal for keeping fruit and vegetables fresh.
The thermostat can also be a key feature for achieving your ideal temperature. That may just mean -2° to 2°C yet that alone may be more than enough. A reversible door can also come in very handy. Most fridges, in general, are built for a right-handed operation.
Having the functionality to change that to a left-handed one can make it ideal for you and the space you want to put it in.
A reinforced tempered glass door with an air-tight seal is also efficient enough to maintain the humidity level you want.
The design can also be stylish. Several manufacturers seem to have realized that a mini-fridge should add a bit of chic to any room.
Whether that is a vibrant, colorful exterior, a retro 50s handle, or a vintage Coca-Cola retro look. Some mini-fridges can even include soft blue LED lighting to keep your contents looking in pristine condition, especially useful for wine.
Having a mini-fridge sat in your kitchen, dorm room, or gaming room should make a statement and not only keep your items at the desired temperature.
Type of Mini-Refrigerator Style
One of the most well-known quiet mini-refrigerator and compact refrigerator styles is that of the compressor. This is an evaporated fluid that passes through tubes to keep the contents cold.
These can be kept in the workplace as they may be slightly noisy but still do an admirable job. Absorption technology is designed to be even quieter due to its lack of an engine.
That construction also makes it ideal for portability so consider one for road trips and traveling.
A thermocouple may be difficult to find as a quiet mini-refrigerator style yet can prove useful, especially for short periods. They are also remarkably quiet as only the fan can cause a sound that can be minimal.
How energy efficient your mini-refrigerator is should also be of prime concern. A simple way to find this out is by checking if it has an Energy Star rating or award.
That should be proof that the mini-fridge can operate without excessive energy so you should not have to deal with layers of frost.
Not only should the mini-refrigerator keep items just at the right temperature, but it should also produce minimal noise and have the right-sized spacious interior which is just what you want in a pretty quiet mini-fridge.